Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Handknit Cardi for me!

So in my life, knitting is essential. If you think that it will save you money, or that you can truly make a profit off the things you make, perhaps knitting is not for you :)

However, there's something to be said for creating something from one's own hands.  Whether it be in my garden, in my kitchen, or in my favorite knitting chair, I enjoy this creativity wholeheartedly. I tend to usually make things for my kids and my husband. They get socks, blankets, hats, sweaters, scarves, even whole onesie outfits for my infant have been made by me.

However, my latest creation, a cardigan for me, has me simply head over heels. Firstly, I got to make something for myself, yay! Secondly, I added some modifications to it that I think made it turn out lovely. Thirdly, I'm 900 yards less in stash, and since right now, I have over 69,510 yards, every little bit helps.

I used Cascade Eco+ 100% wool, which is handwash only, but when you're doing a 'load" at a time, it doesn't matter. I throw it all in my kitchen sink with some wool soak, wring them out and then lay them all on the floor to dry overnight. In the morning, I have all our handwash knits clean and dry and blocked.

Now for those of you that don't know, I took this pattern from a site called Knitty, The pattern is Iced. I love Knitty. They have cute, sensible patterns that are trendy, but not so over the top you can't wear them and here's the best part. THEY'RE FREE. Yes, that's right, you heard me. Free. You can't beat free with a stick. The designer, Carol Feller did a fantabulous job with this cardigan. She has a whole website called Stolen Stitches in which she has literally dozens of patterns. Some of her things are free, some are for sale, but with stuff this cute and functional, I would certainly pay money for it any day of the week.

You can find more knitting patterns, including this one, on Ravelry. You can also find a whole knitting community that's dedicated to not only their crafts (which range from spinning, dyeing, weaving, crochet, knitting and more), but to the other members where they share their finished objects, and their lives. If you're at all interested, you should have a look-see over that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment