Friday, July 29, 2011

Homemade Ranch Dressing

118_3788
I'm editing this recipe. For those of you that have tried it, and if you found it to be a bit on the bland side, I've fixed that. :)

I sautéed    the onions, chives, chopped parsley and 2 cloves of garlic in the skillet in a tad bit of coconut oil for about 5 minutes, and then proceeded to make like usual.

Ranch dressing is a staple in this house. Like bread, or milk, or eggs. I use it on salads, the kids like to dip carrots and broccoli into it, my husband likes it. Have you ever taken a look at the ingredients list on your favorite brand of Ranch though? I have. Vegetable oil is number one. What?? Vegetable oil? Really? And disodium inosinate? What the hell is that? I really don't like eating things I have no idea what they are. So once again, I'm making my own.

What you'll need:
118_3785
  • Sour cream (1/2 cup)
  • Mayonnaise (1 cup)
  • Fresh chives
  • Fresh onions
  • Fresh parsley
  • Fresh garlic (one or two cloves)
  • Buttermilk (1 cup)



Now, let me explain what I used. I used Kraft Mayo with Olive oil. It does have a couple of preservatives to make it shelf stable, and when we run out of our stock in our pantry, I'll be making my own mayo too :)  
118_3787I used light sour cream, Daisy is the only one I can find that is made of  cream, skim milk and vitamin A. Three ingredients  that's it! Now the buttermilk. I use a powdered buttermilk that you can find in your baking aisle. Its shelf stable in your fridge for months, and you simply mix with water and voila! Buttermilk.




118_3786Now, what you'll do. Chop the fresh herbs and garlic and put into a bowl. For garlic, the easiest way to get it out of the shell is to take your knife, lay it flat side on top of the clove and give it just a light tap. You should hear it open up. Then just peel the skin off and chop it right up!  Add the sour cream and mayo. Stir it up a bit. Its going to be very thick. The buttermilk is what is going to thin it out and make it dressing like. Now, mix up your buttermilk and add it in, whisking the whole time, until you get the consistency you like. I used 2/3 cup of buttermilk, and it gave me a creamy, yet not too thin texture.

 Now, simply profit from your latest creation!



1 comment: