Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Make it Yourself! Vintage Girls Nightgowns

Crunchy Girl in her favorite hand made nightie. 


Topstitching around your lace or ruffled
trim gives it a nice clean edge. 
How many people do you know that make their own clothing? Would you like to? I will admit, I don't make all our own clothing, and what I do make is borne more of necessity than want, though once I started, I wanted to then make ALL the THINGS. One thing that every homesteader should know is how to mend and how to make their own clothing. It's easier than you think, and more rewarding than you expect. Especially when you score a bolt of fabric for like massive discount and can create something for every one of your kids for $10 total.

150 years ago, it was almost unheard of for people to not make their own clothing. Even when you "boughten" clothing, it was still handmade, as sewing machines weren't really around, though it wouldn't be long. The idea that someone would take 10000 yards of fabric and turn it into 1000 pairs of pants didn't exist.

I take every advantage I can use. I use a heavy duty basic sewing machine, a serger for seams and hems and edgings and then I even break out the embroidery machine every now and again to have some fun! While being a homesteader these days is all about getting back to basics, I see no reason not to use tools that can help make that journey more achievable.

Besides, who doesn't love nightgowns? I think all little girls do, and I know I prefer them. I hate wearing PJ's. They get bunched up around my knees at night, and then I wake up a tangled mess. So what's better than a frilly vintage nightgown? Why, one that's easy to make to boot! This one? Super easy, seriously you can make these in an hour or less. I was able to make four for my daughter in less than a half day.

There are two types of fabric I would use for this. Quilting cotton, or flannel. I use quilting cotton for a lightweight summer nightie, and then flannel in the winter, for a warm, fuzzy cuddly nightie. This nightgown only has four pieces, the front, the back and 2 sleeves. Now, I'm going to link the pattern here that you can buy for about $5 if you buy somewhere like Joann Fabrics or Walmart. But don't get overwhelmed! Patterns are so much easier than winging it! I promise you, this is a great project to start out with if you're a beginning sewer. Nothing fancy, just seams, and elastic. That's it. You can even forgo the lace trim on the bottom and cuffs and just turn up and hem to make it even easier.

A set of 6 nightgowns that went out for
the shop recently. Aren't they lovely!
Ok, so here's the link to the pattern. Just remember the number at the top right corner, that's how you'll find it in the store. The actual pattern calls for elastic in the waist area. I don't use that. I just omit that step altogether.

So just cut out your newspaper pieces and if you want, transfer them to poster board. That's what I use for patterns like this. I have all the sizes and use them over and over for the shop, so I like the poster board. You could also use card stock if you have that on hand and just tape them together.

After that, you simply cut out your fabric (after you've washed and dried it for shrinkage!) and then follow the directions!

No comments:

Post a Comment