Thursday, December 19, 2013

Simple and Delicious Peppermint Pinwheels

You guys. Oh you guys! Doze cookies! Let me tell you, these cookies are delicious. Like....I mean, I'm a cookie girl, but these are really good. And the options are endless with colors! I chose red and green with red and green sprinkles because it was "fun" for the kindergarten class I was cooking for. Want something a bit more classy? Use red or green only and leave the other "white". Need them for a baby shower? Use pink and blue and fun baby sprinkles!

For the holidays they are nice wrapped up as a small gift, or put with other candies and goodies into  a tin for a larger gift. Have fun!


Directions

Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder and set aside. Cream together butter and sugar together in another large bowl. Add egg, vanilla, milk, and peppermint extract, and beat until incorporated. Gradually add the dry mixture, beating until combined. Remove half of the mixture from the bowl. Add red food coloring, beating until fully combined. This is where I threw on gloves and used my hands to mix it up.  On a sheet of waxed paper, roll out dough to form a large rectangle, about 1/4-inch thick. Repeat this step with the other half of uncolored dough with green food coloring.

Now, slide the red dough on top of the white dough. I simply took both of them and just slapped  them together sammich style. Then I trimmed the edges and patched an area with the trimmed dough so it would be more uniform. Roll dough into a log, creating a swirl effect. I actually rolled up short logs (rolling from short end to short end) and after three rolls, I cut down along the width, removed the roll and repeated this process. You could roll from short end to short end, but my dough was so large, picking up a log of that size would have been a chore.

If the dough starts to break or crack while rolling, don't sweat it. Just pinch it to patch it up. :) 

Now, the trick here is to let the dough chill. I didn't need this until the morning, so I let it chill overnight. But an hour or so would work if you're pressed for time. 

Go preheat your oven to 375°. Now for the fun part! I took some sprinkles, used them on the dough, then rolled it over a little and repeated the process until it was covered. Then you can slice into oh, quarter inch or so slices. I got about 60 cookies with this recipe. Just place them about an inch apart and bake for about 12 min. 

No comments:

Post a Comment