Thursday, August 8, 2013

Soaked Whole Wheat Tortillas, even if they are crooked!






























So they're not perfectly round like the store bought ones. That's a good thing right? I mean, that just shows you they're authentic! This recipe is so easy, I'm betting my nine year old could work it. Really. Ok wait. My husband could work it. And that's saying something because he can't cook. At all. 

I made tortillas once and they sucked. They were gummy, they tasted like cardboard and they were stiff and not at all like you think a tortilla should be. Who knows what I did wrong, I haven't the slightest, but whatever it was, it was enough to turn me off of them. Or so I thought.

In our quest to eat as naturally as possible, I came across soaking your grains, beans and nuts for optimal digestion and health. I won't launch into a tirade about why you should soak your grains, but here's how I look at it. Number one, humans have been doing it (until recently that is) for thousands of years. There are actually a lot of other (healthier) cultures that still do. Secondly, it doesn't take any more time, so why not? I mean, it can't hurt you to soak your grains, and I've got nothing to lose, not even time, so why wouldn't I do something that takes absolutely no energy, time or effort on my part? Granted, it's not as easy as pulling something off a shelf and shoving it into a cart, but healthy eating is never that easy. That's how Americans have become the most obese people on the planet, and I want no part of that. Thirdly, yes thirdly, I've actually seen improvement since I began soaking our grains. I'm losing weight, and don't crave carbs the way I used to. And I don't feel gross like there's a brick of crap in my belly when I eat them now either.

There's also nothing better than a beautiful loaf of whole wheat bread to entice you too!

So here's what you do!

Soaked Whole Wheat Tortillas

Makes 8 awesome rounds!

Ingredients:
2 cups of whole wheat flour
1/4 cup of coconut oil
3/4 cup of water
1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar
1 tsp of salt
arrowroot powder or cornstarch for rolling out




Mix everything but the salt and arrowroot. Mix it well, in a bowl. Throw a plate or something over the bowl to keep it from drying out and let it sit on your counter for at least 8 hours. I made mine at about 8 am this morning and let it sit until about 5. You could always leave it overnight and then roll it out the next morning.




2. Cut it into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece until it seems like it's too thin. I promise you, it's not. :)








3. Throw that bad boy in a heated skillet on about medium heat, and let it cook maybe 45 seconds on each side. You'll want to watch for it to bubble up in places, and when it bubbles up, you know it's time to turn. Then, turn and cook on the other side. Take a look at the video above to get an idea of when to turn.







4. Enjoy!

You can even make them and freeze them for future use if you are like me, have six people and eat them once or twice a week!







No comments:

Post a Comment