Thursday, August 18, 2011

Week 1: Day 1 Bento Days

118_4109Well, this morning I was up bright and early! I fell asleep with the kids at 8:30 last night so at 5, I was up and ready to go. I figured I had some time, so I put the pizza fingers and some brownies in the oven to bake and had some coffee. :) One thing you could do, is have this meal on the day after you make homemade pizza and just save back a slice or two from dinner the night before, then there’s almost no prep!

Todays Menu:

  • Cheese Pizza Fingers
  • Pizza Sauce
  • 1/2 banana
  • 5 baby carrots
  • 1% milk
  • brownie
 
 
 
Cost per lunch:  88¢
 
Kid Rating: 17-3_5
 
Prep Time Cook Time Ready In
5 min 25 min 30 min

 

Servings Calories Fat Carbs Protein
1 398 14 63 14

 NOTE: As semi-vegetarians, we do not follow a 50% carbohydrates, 20% fat, 30% protein diet in this house. We follow a 60% complex/whole grain carbs, 15% fat, and 25% protein. This lunch fits these guidelines. 

I also included an extra quarter for extra milk today because it was supposed to be 96ยบ. (And it was!).

I made the cheese pizza fingers by baking a small cheese pizza (using my Whole Wheat Pizza recipe) and then simply let it cool for 30 min and instead of slices, I just cut it across into “fingers”. The rest is pretty self explanatory. The brownies were made using whole wheat flour, egg whites and olive oil. I cut them from an 8x8 pan into 16 small pieces.

2 comments:

  1. I think I may look into getting one of these lunch boxes. We use all re-usable containers for the things we pack, but they don't fit together so nicely and sometimes I can't fit everything in the lunch box. Thanks for this idea. I'm so tired of sending her with the same couple of sandwiches and fruits and yogurt. I'm sure she is too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, I just looked at your whole wheat pizza recipe. I am totally intimidated by making my own dough. We make our own pizza also, but we wuss out and buy Boboli whole wheat pizza crust. Maybe one day I'll get the guts to try and make my own. You know me, Susie homemaker I am not. But I do want Marley to have more options, and I need to do it in a cheaper way. You got me thinking, girl.

    ReplyDelete