Saturday, August 6, 2011

Reusable Market Tote - Ultra Compact

118_3925Did you know, that the average American uses over 1200 plastic bags a year? 1200?? That's crazy! And then they all get tossed in the garbage. And don't fret, I was guilty for a long time too. I never even thought twice about it honestly.


Between grocery trips, convenience store outings, and that stop to get just one item, that they then stick in a bag for you....the waste accumulates, and accumulates! Some of you, probably use those bags to line your small trash cans, or for your litter boxes, etc. I myself used to line the bathroom and bedroom trash barrels with them.

118_3929

However, on my journey to be more environmentally friendly, I've stopped using plastic bags at all. We do have kitchen bags that are labeled as "biodegradable" and since we compost and recycle, we don't have much in the way of waste. I have various reusable bags that I've either made, or have gotten free from places, or have bought for $1 here and there that I use for my groceries. I also have found other uses for them from toting kids stuff around to toting books, storing my craft supplies, etc.

So, I decided what better way than to get people using reusable bags but take all the negatives away? The bags you can buy at the checkouts of your local grocery store are flimsy, and will rip easily. The handles break and they're boxy and don't fold down very small though they do fold flat. Regular totes are strong, but heavy, bulky and cumbersome to try to take several to do your shopping.

118_3930


So I found some 100% cotton, which by the way, you can compost when you've worn out your bags with shopping, and made a bag. It's based on the shape and funciton of plastic bags in that it has gussets on either side. There are no seams showing, as I've used French seams all around. Best part? Simply fold down the handles, fold either side in and then fold the top down and tuck it in the pocket located on the front. It goes from being  16W x 13H shopping bag to a quarter inch thick 7"x5" pocketed bag. You could take 10 or more with you in one open bag and do all your shopping! As you can see, I fit 2 boxes of baby cereal, a 5lb bag of sugar, a box of pasta, 2 cans of beans and a tub of cocoa in one bag.  And the best part? They're super cute!

118_3927

No comments:

Post a Comment