Thursday, August 25, 2011

Week 2: Day Four Bento Days

118_4219I woke up this morning with the urge to make something cutesy out of rice. Why? Oh heck, I don’t know, but I did. So, I made polar bears. Now before you say “how in the blue plum heck does one make polar bears from rice?” Know that it’s really easy. Really really easy. You simply need a rice mold. You just put your rice in there, squish it up and voilà! Instant bear. I used Nori paper again to put on the eyes and nose.  I made some mini turkey burgers to go with it and gave the kids a small square of dark chocolate too, that’s not pictured. My son specifically asked for a square of chocolate today :)

Today’s Menu:

  • Polar Bear Rice Balls
  • Mini Turkey burgers with cheese on whole wheat
  • Clementine wedges
  • green beans
  • one small square of dark chocolate

 

To make the rice balls, I just cook some sticky rice (sushi rice) in the rice cooker and when it’s done, I fill my mold, press it down and instant rice ball. The turkey burgers were just make from ground turkey and I simply made them small enough to fit in the box. I then cut with an apple cookie cutter, four pieces of bread (from 2 slices of whole wheat), and two slices of cheddar cheese to go with the turkey minis.

Cost per lunch: 69¢

Kid Rating:  3.5 stars 

Prep Time Cook Time Ready In
8min 10 min 10 min

 

Servings Calories Fat Carbs Protein
1 421 14 53 23

No comments:

Post a Comment