Monday, August 15, 2011

Recycled Babby Blankets!

118_4094So my babby (baby as they’re known here in the States  ) turned 8 months the other day. He’s cruising around, been crawling for 2 months already and is eating semi solid foods. While I’m excited at watching him grow up, he’s my last baby and therefore, I’m sad too. So instead of passing along his blankets from when he was first born, like I did the other kids, I decided to recycle them into something he can use for a few more years. And here it is.

118_4096The pattern is simple. All I did was to cut the blankets into 6ths, sew them together piece by piece, and then strip by strip. When I had the top done, I simply found some fabric to match on the back, (you can’t see it here, but it’s a just a khaki color) then sandwiched the top, the backing (khaki fabric) with some high loft quilt batting in the middle. You can find quilt batting in your local discount store, in the fabric section. Then, I basted the pieces together with a few strips down one length, and then came back and quilted it. I did a simple square pattern, where I just moved over every inch and used a running stitch on my machine.

Then after that was done, I bought some “blanket binding” in the crafts section and sewed it on. And it was done! Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

And now, my 8 month old will have a blanket he can call his own until he’s at least 8, and I didn’t throw the blankets away, I repurposed them!

No comments:

Post a Comment