Saturday, September 3, 2011

Day 11: Bento Days

000_0037Well, son was still sick on Thurs and then other sons get sick….ah the life of a Mom! However, it didn’t stop me from making a healthy lunch on Friday, though Thursday my daughter did eat “hot lunch” because of my three sick babies at home. I couldn’t put any of them down long enough to make her something! However, I was reminded why I pack lunches. Here was the menu for that day:

  • Spaghetti /Meat sauce
  • Garlic Bread
  • Green beans
  • Pears
  • Sherbet
  • Milk and or water

At first glance it doesn’t look that bad right? However, the meat sauce is made with higher fat beef, the garlic bread is laden with fatty margarine, the green beans are boiled down to almost a gel, the pears are packed in heavy syrup….the list goes on. The sherbet might have been OK if it wasn’t chock full of fat, and milk is what I pack, so that I’m OK with. However, this is actually one of the better meals our school serves. The rest of the month they’re having things like hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken fried steak, shredded pork, fried chicken on a bun, mini corn dogs, chicken sticks, fish sticks….last I knew, neither chickens or fish came in sticks.

So, that being said, lets get to the menu for Friday!

Today's Menu:

  • Homemade whole wheat bagels
  • Neufchatel cheese 
  • mango flavored homemade yogurt
  • cucumbers and tomatoes

Cost per lunch:  54¢

Kid Rating: 17-3_5

Prep Time Cook Time Ready In
5 min 0 min 5 min


Servings Calories Fat Carbs Protein
1 297 7 41 20

2 comments:

  1. No, I didn't. I haven't been able to find the culture cheaply enough.

    ReplyDelete