Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Large Flannel Burp Cloths

118_4356Baby sewing is my absolute favorite type of sewing and when a friend asked me to sew up a 12 pack of burp cloths, I was bursting with joy! I wanted to run right then to the fabric store and pick out the fabrics, but alas it was 10pm and I was in my nightclothes. So, I went bright and early this morning after dropping the kiddos off to school. And since burp cloths are so easy and everyone that has a baby needs them, I bring you a tutorial. I’ve not got many “in process” pictures, but I promise, to add more next time I make a batch.

What you’ll need:

  • 1 and 1/2 yards of flannel cotton
  • rotary cutter and mat
  • straight edge rotary ruler
  • sewing machine with the fixin’s
  • Scissors
  • Fabric pen (optional)
  • Plastic or glass cup

 

If you want, you can buy a mylar template paper to cut into an 11X17 rounded corner pattern. You can do this by cutting an 11x17 square and then using the edge of the cup to trace rounded corners. Or you can use tracing paper, or you can do what I did which was to use my rotary cutter, mat and ruler to make a cut out square, then a fabric pen to mark rounded corner and then scissors to cut the corners. I found this to be the easiest, but if you make a lot, having a template would serve you well. 118_4359

Once you have template, you’ll want to cut a total of 12 squares from the fabric panel. I found that the easiest way to do this was to fold the fabric in half long ways with the right sides facing, then cut out 6 squares from both fabrics at the same time.

Next, you’ll want to take these to the sewing machine, and sew around the edge, leaving a quarter inch seam allowance. Leave about 3 inches or so not sewn so you can turn the fabric right side out. 118_4360

Next, reach inside the hole and turn the fabric right side out. straighten the corners (I use a long crochet hook (Tunisian Crochet hook) to poke in the corners and get them flat) and press each side with a steam iron. Then, with a 1/8 inch seam allowance, topstitch on 3.5 stitch length all around the edge of the burp cloth. This closes the hole, helps keep it nice and flat, and gives your cloths a more professional look.

And now? You’re done! Enjoy your new cloths!   

2 comments: